A lot of people ignore the signs that their air conditioner is malfunctioning. They keep using it until the very end when it breaks down completely. Instead, it is best to keep an eye out for certain signs that will tell you that your air conditioner is about to break down. By ignoring these signs, you are making the situation worse and you might be shortening the life of your air conditioner. Here are the things you should watch out for:
- Inefficient Cooling: One of the surest signs that your air conditioner is going to break down is when you must keep turning down the temperature lower and lower to get the same degree of cooling. This does not happen right away but over a period of days. Do not wait until the cooling stops completely. As soon as you find that you must keep turning your AC lower than usual, call your contractor.
- Strange Smell: Is there a strange chemical smell flooding your room when you turn on the AC? This might be indicative of gas leakage from your air conditioner. So, it is best to call your AC contractor and get it checked out.
- Strange Noise: Some ACs are noisier than others. But if your AC is suddenly making more noise than before, then it is time to call your AC contractor.
- Erratic Cooling: Sometimes, an AC might come on for a while and then keep blowing out hot air for a while. Of course, it is normal for an AC compressor to go on and off. But if your AC compressor is not coming on for half an hour at a stretch, it might need repair. So, give your AC contractor a call.
- Uneven Cooling: If you have central air conditioning but it is only cooling certain rooms and not others, then you might want to give your air conditioning contractor a call and get your HVAC system checked out. They should be able to pinpoint where the problem lies and get it fixed while it is still not too bad.
Contact us to learn more about how to spot a malfunctioning AC.