While scheduling a furnace cleaning, check and tune-up might take a little time to schedule, it’s definitely not something you’ll want to skip — and for good reason.
Having a Furnace Cleaning
First, having a professional come to your home to clean your furnace once annually not only helps your health and your home but also helps it to:
- Run safely: If the heat exchanger becomes dirty, it could prematurely crack and this could emit carbon monoxide into the air of your home. This can be dangerous. In fact, according to the CDC, about 50,000 individuals in the United States alone end up in the emergency room each year because of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Run more efficiently: Dirt can cover the furnace’s switches, blower motor, fan, ignition, and heat exchanger. If you allow grime or dirt to cover these parts of your furnace, it can cause it to work harder and run longer cycles in order to produce the same amount of heat.
- Last longer: While a furnace is built to last when the parts are dirty, it speeds up the aging process for these different electronic components just mentioned.
Having a Furnace Check and Tune-Up
With that said, you also want to ensure your furnace is checked and receives a tune-up once annually as well – also for various reasons, including:
1. Ensuring Adequate Air Flow
Having heating professionals come in to check and tune-up your furnace enables proper airflow in your furnace since the venting system is critical in the heat distribution of your home. Restricted or limited airflow can cause unnecessary strain on your furnace, making it, so you can’t attain your desired temperature.
2. Maintaining the Manufacturer’s Warranty
Typically, the manufacturer warranty is nullified if you don’t have the furnace maintained. When you have an annual checkup, it validates the warranty, which in turn helps you save on higher future costs.
3. Preventing Future Breakdowns
Getting an annual furnace check and tune-up is the easiest and most reliable way of preventing future breakdowns. Depending on whom you have come over to perform the check, tune-ups can differ, but most consist of:
- Lubricating the parts
- Cleaning the unit
- Ensuring the connections are correct
The heat professional will also check for any issues that must be addressed like weak pilot lights or a cracked heat exchanger. By having annual maintenance done, you won’t need to worry about loose connections, dirty gas valves, or malfunctioning parts that can cause your furnace to breakdown on a very cold night.
4. Checking Filters and Wires
Furnace checkups should include filter and wire checks. Clean filters will ensure your furnace stays free of dirt, dust, or allergens and that your unit operates efficiently. Wire checks are essential because broken or loose wires could lead to corrosion which could damage your furnace, and they could also expose you to a fire hazard.
At Minnesota Heating and Air Conditioning, we make your comfort and safety our top priority. We’ll send one of our licensed and certified professionals to your home to clean, check, and tune-up your furnace, so it will run efficiently and safely for you all winter long when you need it most. Contact us today to schedule your appointment.